Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

{JMC 335} And it begins


To give a brief overview to those of you who aren't Lance Kissler or one of my humble comrades from Whitworth's interactive journalism class (JMC 335), this semester I've been charged with the responsibility of creating a news package on a local non-profit.

Because I’m best known for my participation in the northwest wedding community, and because most of my beloved readers found me through this connection, I thought it would be best to feature a wedding-related non-profit.

So I searched. And searched. And searched. Non-profits who give away wedding gowns, or even complete weddings, to deserving couples can be found in Portland and Seattle and other cities … but not Spokane, where I’m currently located.

The next best thing? Possibly the equivalent to weddings for teen girls? Prom. Perfect substitute for my wedding-obsessed readers.

Me before prom with my now fiance. See, prom's important. It can lead to true love.

For my project, I’m looking at focusing on Julianne’s Prom Closet, a local non-profit that provides a prom dress “shopping” experience and a free dress to high school girls whose families wouldn’t be able to afford it otherwise.

I think it would be interesting to talk to Julianne Sullivan, who started the non-profit.


I would like to focus on covering girls during their "shopping" experience, including photographing, filming and writing about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment